Kendrah Adams: My Time as a Vollstedt Intern

In my year-long Vollstedt intern position, I served as a Learning Resources Specialist with the library’s Data Services department. In this position, I’ve gotten the opportunity to create many different learning objects. For example, I got to create LibGuide pages on how to download and install software and integrated development environments (IDEs) like R and R Studio. I also had the opportunity to create modules in Articulate Rise on how to use databases’ clipboard functions or how to add items to a Zotero library. Culminating in all that I learned was my creation of a module on how to use Microsoft Support to find documentation on converting or saving a file as a PDF. Through all of these projects, I learned a lot about instructional design.

Instructional design, in short, is the creation of learning objects. To create learning objects, I’ve realized that you have to be ready to conduct research, effectively communicate with subject matter experts (SMEs) and clients, and have a desire to help others. By communicating with my SMEs and clients, I conducted needs analyses by asking insightful questions about the learning gap I was trying to fill. I also learned to make the information I provided clear and concise. I was not able to speak with students directly to get a good idea of their gaps, so I had to make sure I was asking the right questions of my SMEs and clients. Because of this, I realized early on that feedback was an essential part of the instructional design process, and one I appreciated greatly.

I am incredibly grateful for the skills I have developed, and traits I have strengthened, through this internship. I have become a much more effective communicator, I can take feedback with grace and push back as needed, and I have much more empathy for the end user/learner when creating learning objects. I have also learned how to use the popular ID tool Articulate Rise to create modules and courses from templates and from scratch. This internship has helped me crystallize that I am passionate about instructional design. I am very proud of the work I’ve been able to produce thus far and am excited to see what I will be able to create in the future.